For many auto enthusiasts, car fanatics and weekend warriors alike the process of washing their own car by hand is a badge of pride. To get the most out of the effort put into washing a car by hand, it is important to use quality car wash soap. Finding the best car wash soap is of the upmost importance to get the greatest benefit out of a hand car wash.
What Type of Car Wash Soaps to Use?
Don’t use regular household cleaners such as dish soap to wash a car. Dish soap is for dishes, not for washing your car!
Household cleaners such as dish wash soap are not formulated for automotive paint and can strip the wax from the finish of the car.
This can be beneficial in some cases to strip all of the wax off of the car when a full detail is being performed. Of course, make sure wax is reapplied after the car has been thoroughly washed!
Do use quality car wash soaps that are specifically formulated for washing a car.
Car wash soaps are specifically made for washing a car and are typically milder; pH balanced, and will clean the paint without stripping the protective waxes.
What to look for in quality car wash soaps?
When shopping for the best car wash soap to wash your car with there are some important features to look for which include:
- A soap that is specifically formulated for washing cars. As mentioned previously, a soap that is specifically made for washing cars will preserve the paint and not strip protective waxes from the finish.
- A highly lubricated soap. A highly lubricated soap is gentler on car paint. Highly lubricated car wash soap will gently lift dirt and grime from the paint and rinse more easily without spotting and streaking.
- A soap that produces a lot of suds. As the car is washed dirt and grime will be lifted from the paint. Suds will help to suspend this dirt and grime and will aide in the rinsing process encapsulating the dirt so that it can be easily rinsed away.
What is the best car wash soap for black cars?
Numerous people have asked me what is the best car wash soap for black cars. To be quite honest, in my opinion, there is no one best car wash soap for black cars. However, there are a couple of things to keep in mind when it comes to black cars:
- Black cars show dirt and dust more than cars that are painted lighter colors. Because of this, it is even more important to regularly wash a black car than other colors.
- Black cars also show light scratches much more easily. Therefore, it is also very important to keep a black car waxed to help protect the paint.
- Some lesser quality soaps will not rinse as cleanly as high quality car wash soaps. With a black car it important to use the best car wash soap one can afford, as the higher quality soaps will rinse better without spots or streaks.
- Lastly, a trick I have used on black cars is to add 1 ounce of a waterless car wash product such as Optimum No Rinse Car Wash to the car wash bucket as it adds an extra lubricant to the wash and seems to leave black cars shinier.